Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Naming Traditions

My family has a naming tradition whereby the females have a middle name that starts with a L.  Most of us are either Lea, Louise or Lynn.  This tradition held strong until my much younger cousins abandoned it.  My part of the family, however, holds true.  My younger daughter, her daughter and I all share the same middle name and my older daughter and mother share their middle name.

I like it.   I know of other families with naming traditions.  One family gives all the males the first name of Robert and then a different middle name which they go by.  Another family uses the mother's maiden name for the middle name of the first born male. Another family follows the alphabet (ABCD names) or did until they hit the end of the alphabet.

I hope it continues in my family.  I like the connectedness of it, But I want it to be out of choice and not a requirement.  I want my children to be free to break it if they desire, just as my cousins have.  The child is more important than the tradition.

No comments:

Post a Comment