Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Namesake names

Last week I received my first request for naming advice.  A friend of mine whose real name is Adelaide but goes by Lad is preparing to be a grandmother for the first time.  Her daughter is having a daughter and is planning on naming the baby Addison June (my friend's middle name is June) and then calling the baby Laddi.  The daughter says she is naming her baby after her mother but my friend disagrees.  My friend believes that Adelaide and Addison are not derivative names and that the only name she and her granddaughter will have in common is their middle name.  My friend is  not even happy with Laddi.

My advice was to accept the honor.  The daughter might have felt that Addison is a more modern name but that it would allow her to connect to her mother's name.  That possibility coupled with the middle name and nickname all make me think that this is a honor name.

No comments:

Post a Comment